faxspool -M
Ben Stuyts
2006-06-28 13:20:53 UTC

I need to send out a lot of faxes, so I was looking at the -M option
for faxspool. According to the man page:

-M <file name>
Multicasting - read a list of telephone numbers to
send the fax
to from the given file. Do not use in conjunction with
"-m".

However, faxspool does not recognize this option, nor the -m option:

[earth:~/fax]127: faxspool -M adrchangenrs.txt adrchange.pdf
unknown option: -M
Usage: /usr/local/bin/faxspool [options] [faxphone] [page data]
-p poll request
-n normal resolution
-C <pgm> set cover page program ("-" for none)
-D <dest> set verbose destination name
-F <full name> set full name of sender
-h <file> text file for page header
-f <email> set address for status mail
-P <n> set job priority (1=lowest, 9=highest)
-c copy source files
-t <hh:mm> set earliest possible send time
-t <hh:mm-hh:mm> set time range for sending fax
-A <txt> specify free-form accounting information
-q shut up

Is there a version of faxspool somewhere that has this functionality?
I'm using mgetty 1.1.34 on FreeBSD 4-stable.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-***@muc.de
Gert Doering
2006-06-28 14:00:46 UTC
Post by Ben Stuyts
I need to send out a lot of faxes, so I was looking at the -M option
-M <file name>
Multicasting - read a list of telephone numbers to
send the fax
to from the given file. Do not use in conjunction with
"-m".
This is on the TODO list since about 10 years now. Unfortunately, I've
never come around to actually implement it.

The basic functionality is fairly easy to do with a script:

cat faxnumbers |
while read number
do
faxspool $number $page_file
done

but the intention of "-M" was to convert the input files only once, and
then run "some magic" that would generate the page headers and title page
on the fly (as they differ for each receipient).

Hasn't been done, though...

gert
//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany ***@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025 ***@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de

Ben Stuyts
2006-06-28 18:34:39 UTC
Hi Gert,
Post by Gert Doering
Post by Ben Stuyts
I need to send out a lot of faxes, so I was looking at the -M option
-M <file name>
Multicasting - read a list of telephone numbers to
send the fax
to from the given file. Do not use in conjunction with
"-m".
This is on the TODO list since about 10 years now. Unfortunately, I've
never come around to actually implement it.
Ok, no problem. You might want to take it out of the man page for
faxspool though.

Thanks,
Ben

Gert Doering
2006-06-28 19:44:18 UTC
hi,
Post by Ben Stuyts
Ok, no problem. You might want to take it out of the man page for
faxspool though.
Oh, well, the "BUGS" section says

Multicasting with the -m and -M options is not implemented yet.

... so it's there :)

Ben Stuyts
2006-06-28 21:39:19 UTC
Hi Gert,
Post by Gert Doering
Oh, well, the "BUGS" section says
Multicasting with the -m and -M options is not implemented yet.
... so it's there :)
Heh, sorry! I didn't read that far! Sorry for the wasted bandwidth.

Anyways, I used your example script and the faxes went out fine. 3
Zyxel 1496 and 1 Zyxel 2864i, all together beeping and whizzing along
was quite fun to see. As you know I've been using mgetty for *many*
years, but this was the first time I had to arrange a mass mailing.

Ben