low volume of greeting message over phone line
Bertie Coopersmith
2011-08-20 12:55:48 UTC
Thankyou Mihai Moldovan, I had the same problem as you. I too, had not set
transmit_gain 100
Now I have done that but it has only made a small difference.

My modem is the Hayes Accura 56k Speakerphone model 5670GB. Its about
12 years old. I'm not certain whether to declare the chip type as
'Rockwell 4' or 'Rockwell 8'. (I tried both. - Not much difference so
I have decided on the 4-bit. Can somebody tell me if that is right?

I record the message on my laptop running under battery to reduce
hum pickup and with level set to the verge of clipping. Then I use
the pvf utilities to convert .wav to .rmd

I bought a recent Zoom modem which is supposed to be a replacement
for the Accura but it fails to record caller's number.

I think the UK system of reversing line polarity was what upset the
Zoom. I'm still keen to know of a good modem to use with vgetty in
the UK.

--
Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-***@muc.de
Mihai Moldovan
2011-08-20 17:06:01 UTC
Post by Bertie Coopersmith
Thankyou Mihai Moldovan, I had the same problem as you. I too, had not set
transmit_gain 100
Now I have done that but it has only made a small difference.
Depending on the MODEM driver, transmit_gain may not be implemented at
all for specific devices, I'd suggest reading the source code.
Post by Bertie Coopersmith
My modem is the Hayes Accura 56k Speakerphone model 5670GB. Its about
12 years old.
No idea about that, ELSA MicroLink 56k here, the firmware dating back to
1997.
But...
Post by Bertie Coopersmith
I'm not certain whether to declare the chip type as
'Rockwell 4' or 'Rockwell 8'. (I tried both. - Not much difference so
I have decided on the 4-bit. Can somebody tell me if that is right?
Fire up minicom and run: AT#CLS=8+VSM=? :)
Post by Bertie Coopersmith
I record the message on my laptop running under battery to reduce
hum pickup
Does that actually matter on POTS lines? ;)
When recording a message and putting a break, I actually generate some
small white noise during pauses so that the user knows the line is not
yet dead. YMMV.
Post by Bertie Coopersmith
and with level set to the verge of clipping. Then I use
the pvf utilities to convert .wav to .rmd
Be sure to pass -b and -32 where appropriate.
Post by Bertie Coopersmith
I bought a recent Zoom modem which is supposed to be a replacement
for the Accura but it fails to record caller's number.
CID can be enabled by various methods and comes in between the first and
second RING, see here:
http://www.vocpsystem.com/vocp_callerid.php
Post by Bertie Coopersmith
I think the UK system of reversing line polarity was what upset the
Zoom. I'm still keen to know of a good modem to use with vgetty in
the UK.
Sadly, the MODEM community seems to be kinda dead those days. VoIP is
taking over.
And even more unfortunately I can't tell you anything about UK stuff or
polarities in general. :/

Best regards,

Mihai