vgetty on iMac g3?
Aljaz Srebrnic
2007-07-22 07:53:15 UTC
Hello,
i use an old iMac g3 DV 400Mhz as a server, and when I discovered
vgetty i got the idea to use it also as an answering machine. Is
vgetty compatible with the iMac internal modem?

thanks

Aljaz Srebrnic
believed to be clean.

--
Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-***@muc.de
Juergen Kosel
2007-07-22 10:54:19 UTC

Gert Doering
2007-07-22 10:54:33 UTC
Post by Aljaz Srebrnic
i use an old iMac g3 DV 400Mhz as a server, and when I discovered
vgetty i got the idea to use it also as an answering machine. Is
vgetty compatible with the iMac internal modem?
No idea...

To figure out whether it is, you might want to run "mid" from the
mgetty/vgetty source tree on your modem, to see what commands the modem
supports. It can be found in "mgetty/tools/mid" (and is automatically
build if you run "make").

I don't know how the tty device to talk to the modem is called on the
iMac, but under Linux, one would call it as:

$ sudo mid /dev/ttyS0

(for a modem on /dev/ttyS0).

If you manage to get it to print some modem responses, please let us
know the results...

gert
//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany ***@greenie.muc.de