Caller ID in vgetty for USR voice modem
Daniel Dickinson
2008-04-22 04:01:53 UTC

I have my USR modem working fine with voice and so on, but I don't seem
to be able to get Caller ID to work on it. How is this supposed to be
done? And is $CALLER_ID the correct environment variable to use for a
a script that renames the call to be based on caller-id and date (I
already do the date).

Thanks,

Daniel
--
And that's my crabbing done for the day. Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something. -- Michael Devore
No more sea shells: Daniel's Weblog http://cshore.wordpress.com
Paul Fox
2008-04-22 10:27:33 UTC
Post by Daniel Dickinson
I have my USR modem working fine with voice and so on, but I don't seem
to be able to get Caller ID to work on it. How is this supposed to be
done? And is $CALLER_ID the correct environment variable to use for a
a script that renames the call to be based on caller-id and date (I
already do the date).
have you enabled it in your init script? i've owned two voice
modems, a rockwell and a lucent, and have used these two config
lines:
# Rockwell:
#post-init-chat "" AT#CID=1 OK
# Lucent:
post-init-chat "" AT+VCID=1 OK

do you see CID information in the logs? you should, at least
if you bump the verbosity by putting "debug 6" near the top of
mgetty.config.

if you don't, you'll need to verify that the modem will do it at
all. connect (with minicom, or something like that), and
manually enter:

atz
OK
at#cid=1
OK
<-- place a call here, and you should see:
RING
NMBR=12345678
NAME=SOME CALLER
RING

RING

if this doesn't work, be sure that you're not plugged into the
phone lines via some device that might be filtering out the CID
information. (i had a week or two of trouble one time because i
was using a tiny line sharing device intended for a modem and a
phone -- it looked like a Y-connector, but it was designed so
that if you picked up the phone, the modem would be cut off.
something in its circuitry caused CID info to be consistently
lost.)

gert -- are there good archives of the list available anywhere?

paul
paul fox, ***@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 41.4 degrees)

--
Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.