not able to get the login details - pppd
leeenux
2006-11-28 10:31:03 UTC
Hello All,
I want the login details of successful logins and other users who tried
to login (but failed since the passwords did not match).
I have the login option enabled while calling pppd.
Although i see the wtmp file in the /var/log folder - the login details
are not saved in this when i login through ppp.
Whats wrong?
Thanks and Regards
Gert Doering
2006-11-29 11:24:58 UTC
Post by leeenux
I want the login details of successful logins and other users who tried
to login (but failed since the passwords did not match).
I have the login option enabled while calling pppd.
Although i see the wtmp file in the /var/log folder - the login details
are not saved in this when i login through ppp.
Whats wrong?
Wrong mailing list. "Login through PPP" = "PPP has to do the login
recording", and we're the mgetty list.

(Of course we're interested in hearing about the solution, so that others
can find it in the mgetty list archives, but it seems nobody here *knows*
the solution)

gert
//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany ***@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025 ***@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de

--
Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-***@muc.de
Greg
2006-11-29 13:10:50 UTC
Post by Gert Doering
Hi,
Post by leeenux
I want the login details of successful logins and other users who tried
to login (but failed since the passwords did not match).
I have the login option enabled while calling pppd.
Although i see the wtmp file in the /var/log folder - the login details
are not saved in this when i login through ppp.
Whats wrong?
Wrong mailing list. "Login through PPP" = "PPP has to do the login
recording", and we're the mgetty list.
(Of course we're interested in hearing about the solution, so that others
can find it in the mgetty list archives, but it seems nobody here *knows*
the solution)
gert
//www.muc.de/~gert/
A crappy solution may be to set pppd to show passwords and debug on,
then
grep the debug log for the username password combo's?
--
Greg

... Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source
code.
leeenux
2006-12-01 09:24:17 UTC
there are the login details in the wtmp file.
It is recorded in a binary format and i had to use a last command to
check it.
so - right now my problem is solved.
Thanks people
Post by Greg